When you perform a squat, you want to feel more than just your quads (the front of your legs) turning on. When you really press into your heels, you should feel your glutes firing and a sensation down the back of your leg as well.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, feet pointing straight forward
- Shift your weight onto your heels and press your hips back as you bend through the knees and hips, keeping your chest high as if you’re going to sit into a chair
- Press down through your heels again to raise back up to the starting position
Things to note
- Stay tall through your chest; don’t let your shoulders hunch forward
- Keep your knees from falling inwards or outwards as you lower down and come back up
- Stay off of your toes