When you perform a proper calf raise, you should feel a sensation throughout the entire backside of your lower leg (your shin), along with a slight activation through your hamstrings and glutes.
- Begin by facing a wall and standing with your feet hip width apart
- Place your hands lightly on the wall for support
- Keeping your knees straight, press into the balls of your feet and raise your heels up off the ground as high as you can
- Pause at the top then slowly lower back to the starting position
Things to note
- Be sure to lift your whole body with the raise, don’t just bend through the knees